Welcome to the Orthanc conference!
OrthancCon 2019 will be the first edition of the international
conference about Orthanc, and will explore the field
of free, libre and open-source software for medical
imaging. The conference will take place in December 2019
in Liège (Belgium), the city where Orthanc was born. This will
be the ideal place to meet the whole community of users and
developers of Orthanc!
Besides medical imaging, the conference will also promote
free, libre and open-source software for healthcare. To
this end, OrthancCon 2019 will be a joint organization with
our friends from GNUHealthCon 2019, the annual conference
that brings together enthusiasts and developers
Health, the acclaimed health and hospital information
OrthancCon 2019 will notably feature:
- Talks from free software projects in healthcare and medical imaging.
- Real-world deployments of Orthanc, and applications built using Orthanc.
- Tutorials and hands-on sessions about DICOM and medical imaging.
- The presence of the developers of Orthanc and of its commercial partner Osimis.
The official release of
the Stone of Orthanc,
our next-generation free toolkit for rendering medical
OrthancCon will take place in
the GIGA tower (B34), on the beautiful site of
Hospital of Liège, where the Orthanc project was conceived!
The hospital is located in the exceptional campus of
the Sart-Tilman, roughly ten kilometers South
of Liège city center, over several hundred hectares of lushy
green space and forest. By choosing this great location at the
interface between a university, a hospital and a science park,
we want to stress the fact that social medicine is a highly
Liège center offers a large choice of
hotels for any budget. The hospital can be reached
by public transportation, notably using
the TEC bus lines 48 and 58 (about 30 minutes per
trip). As an alternative location, if you don't mind missing
the festive, fervent spirit of Liège,
Boncelles city offers some hotels and is
located closer to the hospital (about 1,5km of walk). Note
that Belgian beers can be found both in Liège and in
Here is the early program of the conference:
Friday 13th, December: Plenary sessions dedicated to free
software in healthcare, gathering the Orthanc
- Friday AM: XII International Workshop on eHealth
in Emerging Economies (IWEEE).
- Friday PM: Talks from various third-party
projects in healthcare.
Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th, December: Two days to explore
free software in medical imaging:
- The state of the Orthanc ecosystem.
- Talks from various third-party projects in medical
- Real-world deployments and applications of Orthanc.
- Free training sessions about DICOM using free software.
Saturday 14th evening: Joint social event courtesy of
Osimis, featuring the yearly GNU
Health Social Medicine awards ceremony.
This is tentative schedule: Full program of the conference
will be made available as soon as possible.
The talks will all be in English. We also ask the attendance
to carefully follow
the GNU Health code of conduct.
Fill the registration form
Registration to OrthancCon 2019 is free of charge. We
would however appreciate the industrial audience
to buy professional services from Osimis in
order to financially support the development of Orthanc
according to a virtuous cycle.
Call for presentations
OrthancCon 2019 is looking for three types of contributions:
of FLOSS projects related to healthcare and
medical imaging. Scientific projects are welcome!
- Talks about real-world deployments of Orthanc from all
around the world.
- Talks about third-party developments on the top of
Orthanc (scripts, plugins, applications...).
Here is the submission procedure for the speakers:
- Deadline: June 28th, 2019.
- Format: The submission must be provided as a plain
text file (i.e. no formatted file format), must be written
in English, and must include:
- The title of the contribution.
- The list of authors, with e-mails and affiliations.
- The abstract (up to 1,000 characters, including spaces).
- The bibliograhy (up to 5 references, ideally with hyperlinks).
- The short biography of the presenting author (up to
500 characters, including spaces).
- Possibly, up to 2 figures that illustrate the
submission, in PNG format with a minimal resolution of
- Submission: Please send an email to
- Notification of acceptance: Beginning of August, 2019.
- Proceedings: The audience of OrthancCon will
receive an electronic copy of a booklet containing all the
- Schedule: Depending on the topic of your
submission, your talk might be scheduled:
Either on Friday (plenary sessions about health informatics), or
On Saturday/Sunday (OrthancCon sessions about medical imaging).